Spicy Steve's Thai Recipes
BARBEQUED LOBSTER TAILS with HOT GARLIC DIPPING SAUCE
(Kung Mangkon Phao)
This is a real special treat for me and I like it barbequed on the open flame, basted in garlic oil and served with a simple dipping sauce. The Thais love to have simple BBQ's this way with fresh seafood.
4 medium sized lobster tails. I use Asian Lobster or Crawfish tails from the Gulf of Mexico.
8 medium (2 inch) fresh red chillies, seeds removed and chopped or diced finely
14-16 cloves garlic, minced finely
2-3 Tbsp lime juice
2-3 Tbsp fish sauce
1-2 Tbsp fine granulated sugar. This is optional in case the sauce is too strong or you want a little sweetness to balance the flavours.
1 fresh stalk lemon grass with the outer layer of skin removed, the bottom 1/4" cut off and the bottom smashed
or "bruised" tp create a basting brush.
2-3 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
1. Mix 2-3 cloves of minced garlic with the Vegetable oil in a small bowl and set aside with the lemon grass basting brush.
2. Mix the remaining ingredients, except the lobster, in another bowl and set aside for serving.
3. Butterfly the lobsters by cutting down along their back. Only cut half way down and remove any visible black vein. Leave shell on. The meat will expand on cooking.
4. BBQ over low to moderate fire until golden and fragrant. Turn at least once and continually baste with the lemon grass dipped in garlic oil.
5. Serve immediately with dipping sauce on the side or pour sauce over lobster tails.