Spicy Steve's Thai Recipes
BARBEQUED PRAWNS & SCALLOPS with SOUR GARLIC DIPPING SAUCE
(Hui Chen Ten & Kung Ten)
A great seafood barbeque combination. I put my Tiger Prawns on wooden skewers soaked in water overnight to avoid burning. Make sure you don't burn the sticks. Hang the ends over the edge of your Barbeque. This recipe has another simple dipping sauce that can be used with many other dishes.
12 medium sized tiger prawns
6 large scallops
6 Tbsp lime juice
7-2 inch finely diced fresh medium chillies,
8 Tbsp garlic chopped finely
4 1/2 tbs fish sauce
6 Tbsp coriander leaves chopped
1 fresh stalk lemon grass with the outer layer of skin removed, the bottom 1/4" cut off and the bottom smashed or "bruised" tp create a basting brush.
2-3 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
1. Mix 2 Tbsp of minced garlic with the Vegetable oil in a small bowl and set aside with the lemon grass basting brush.
2. Mix the remaining ingredients, except the prawns and scallops, in another bowl and set aside for serving.
3. Thread the prawns on wooden or metal skewers.
4. BBQ over a moderate heat avoiding burning and turning frequently. Continually baste with the lemon grass dipped in garlic oil. BBQ until meat is solidly white throughout. Do not overcook.
5. Serve immediately and with dipping sauce on the side.