Spicy Steve's Thai Recipes
BARBEQUED or STEAMED SEA BASS IN LIME SAUCE
(Pla Kaphong Khao Neung Manao)
Sea Bass is one of my favorite fishes. It's texture is like butter and melts in your mouth. The fish in this recipe can be baked or barbequed, with the sauce added after, or just steamed fresh in the sauce itself.
2 pieces of Sea Bass Fillets (1 lb)
15 cloves of garlic, diced finely
2 Tbsp spring onion, chopped
3 medium red chillies, chopped and seeds removed.
2 tsp finely chopped coriander root (cilantro), use the lower stem if you can't find a bunch with the root attached.
2 Tbsp fish sauce
2 Tbsp lime juice
½ cup Thai chicken stock (or regular)
Method for Steaming:
1. Mix chillies with chicken stock, coriander root, fish sauce and lime juice, and set aside in bowl.
2. Score both sides of the Sea Bass fillets with a knife and place on a shallow dish to steam it.
3. If steaming the Sea Bass, pour the sauce over the fish and sprinkle the garlic and spring onion over the top. Place in steamer once the water boils and steam on high heat for about 15 minutes. Have enough water to avoid it boiling dry. Serve immediately.
Method for Barbeque or Baking:
1. Mix chillies with chicken stock, coriander root, fish sauce and lime juice, and place in a saucepan.
2. Score both sides of the Sea Bass fillets with a knife and bake or barbeque until meat is white, tender and cooked.
3. Bring sauce to a boil and pour over Sea Bass and serve immediately.