Spicy Steve's Thai Recipes
BARBEQUED TIGER PRAWNS WITH SPICY SAUCE
(Kung Kula Dam Phla)
This sauce is rather thick with herbs and better spread over the prawns. The dipping sauce served in the lobster recipe also goes great with these giant "finger licking" barbequed prawns..
6 very large jumbo tiger prawns
1 Tbsp finely chopped lemon grass
2 Tbsp coriander leaves - chopped
4 medium (2 inch) fresh red chillies finely diced with seeds removed
2 Tbsp fish sauce
1 Tbsp shallots finely diced
2 tsp kaffir lime leaf finely diced
4 Tbsp garlic finely minced
6 Tbsp lime juice
1 Tbsp granulated white sugar
1 tsp roasted chilli paste (nam prik pao)
1/4 cup mint leaves chopped
1 fresh stalk lemon grass with the outer layer of skin removed, the bottom 1/4" cut off and the bottom smashed or "bruised" tp create a basting brush.
2-3 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
1. Mix 2 Tbsp of minced garlic with the Vegetable oil in a small bowl and set aside with the lemon grass basting brush.
2. Mix the remaining ingredients, except the prawns, in another bowl and set aside for serving. Make sure the kaffir lime and lemon grass are finely diced as they are not easily digestable.
3. Butterfly the prawns by cutting down along their back. Only cut half way down and remove any visible black vein. Leave shell on. The meat will expand on cooking.
4. BBQ over a moderate heat avoiding burning and turning frequently. Continually baste with the lemon grass dipped in garlic oil. BBQ until meat is solidly white throughout and shell is crisp.
5. Serve immediately and pour sauce over cooked prawns.