Spicy Steve's Thai Recipes
GARLIC & PEPPER PRAWNS WITH LEEKS
(Goong Tod Grateum)
Ever seen Leeking Prawns? It's quite messy. Seriously, this is a very nice quick and simple dish that your guests will love.
The leeks are basically a vegetable base on which to serve the prawns.
1 lb fresh tiger prawns
1 medium sized leek
2 Tbsp (or more) chopped garlic
2 tsp (or lots more) cracked black pepper
1 tsp brown sugar
1+1/2 Tbsp fish sauce
1 Tbsp chopped fresh coriander
2 Tbsp vegetable oil for cooking
1. Cut leek in half and soak in water to clean.
2. Cut into 1 inch pieces and blanch for 1 min. in boiling water. Drain, then arrange neatly to form a bed on a serving plate.
3. Shell prawns, leaving tail intact, deveine prawns. Or you can leave the shells on for that "finger licking good" effect.
4. Heat oil in wok, stir-fry garlic and prawns until prawns are almost cooked.
5. Add pepper, sugar and fish sauce.
6. Stir-fry until prawns are cooked.
7. Pour prawns and sauce over leek and garnish with coriander.