Spicy Steve's Thai Recipes
GOLDEN CUPS WITH PRAWNS, PORK & CORN
These delicious little cups contain flavours that will delight your guests and have them craving more! You can always experiment and create your own fillings for other occasions as the golden cups, once learned, are quite easy to make. This is a simpler way we found to make than cups than the authentic method which involves a mold and batter.
Ingredients to make golden cups:
Spring roll wrappers, cut into 2 ½ “squares
Cooking oil for brushing
Ingredients to make prawn and pork filling:
1 lb shelled, de-veined and halved prawns
¼ lb lean ground pork
½ cup canned corn
½ cup coriander/cilantro roots (or substitute with the lower stems of coriander/cilantro)
1 Tbsp freshly ground white peppercorns
6 cloves of garlic
3 Tbsp peanut or vegetable oil
2 Tbsp fish sauce (nam pla)
Sugar to taste (approximately ¼ tsp)
3 Tbsp or more chopped coriander/cilantro
Cilantro leaves and sliced red chillies for garnish
To make Golden Cups:
1. Brush a piece of spring roll wrapper roll wrapper with a little cooking oil and place over the back of a small muffin tin.
2. Brush another piece of spring roll wrapper with cooking oil and arrange it at right-angles on top of the first one. Repeat with remaining spring roll wrappers.
3. Gently place another muffin tin over all the arranged spring roll wrappers to form a cup shape.
4. Transfer the combined tins to a baking tray and bake in preheated oven at 400F/200C for 08-12 minutes or until light brown and crisp. Remove from tins and set aside to cool.
To cook prawn and pork filling:
1. Pound coriander roots, white peppercorns and garlic into paste.
2. Heat oil in a fry pan and fry paste until fragrant.
3. Add pork and fry until cooked.
4. Add prawns, fish sauce and sugar. Adjust the seasoning so that it is the right degree of sweet and salty for your taste.
5. To serve, fill baked golden cups with prawn and pork filling and garnish with cilantro leaves and chillies.
6. Store any unused golden cups into an air tight tin to keep fresh and crispy for up to a month.