Spicy Steve's Thai Recipes
PRAWN HOT AND SOUR SOUP
(Tom Yam Goong)
This has to be the all time number one favourite Thai soup for restaurant goers and visitors to Thailand. The delicate clear thai chicken soup stock masked slightly by a powerful residue of roasted chilli paste contains all the classic Thai ingredients: prawns, lemon grass, galangal, kaffir lime and fresh corriander. Together with the roasted chilli paste this soup is guaranteed to clear your sinuses on a cold winters day.
5 cups chicken thai soup stock (see seperate recipe or use regular chicken stock)
9 pieces fresh galangal (or use young ginger)
9 fresh kaffir lime leaves
3 tbsp lemon grass, cut in 1 inch pieces and smashed or bruised
5 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp roasted chilli paste (nam prik pao)b
16 medium-sized fresh tiger prawns, peeled, deveined, tails intact
20 straw mushrooms, cut in half
2 small fresh chillies, finely sliced chopped fresh coriander for garnish
1. Put chicken stock in a pot.
2. Add galangal, lime leaves and lemon grass and boil rapidly for 10 minutes.
3. Turn down heat to low and add lemon juice, fish sauce and roasted chilli paste.
4. Stir and simmer for another minute.
5. Add prawns and mushrooms and cook until prawns are cooked.
6. Add chillies.
7. Serve garnished with coriander leaves.