Spicy Steve's Thai Recipes
THAI MASSAMAN BEEF CURRY
(Kari Massaman Nua)
This is a rich and nutty Southern Thai curry that strains to the flavour influences of the nearby Malay culture - hence Muslim Curry.
1+1/2 cup coconut milk
3 garlic cloves finely chopped
1 Tbsp massaman curry paste
1/2 lb lean beef, sliced thin
1 Tbsp tamarind juice or 2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp sugar
3 Tbsp fish sauce
1/2 cup stock or water
2 small potatoes quartered and microwaved
2 or more Tbsp roasted peanuts
1 small onion quartered
1. In a small pan, gently warm the coconut milk until it is fragrant and starts to separate. The seperation part is not 100% necessary.
2. Add garlic and curry paste, mix well and cook for a few seconds.
3. Add the beef, onions and potatoes and mix well until meat is mostly cooked.
4. Then add tamarind juice or lime juice, sugar, fish sauce and stock or water.
5. Add peanuts, cook for 6 minutes more on low to medium heat, and serve.