Spicy Steve's Thai Recipes
PINEAPPLE FRIED RICE
(Khow Bhud Sub-Pa-Rode)
This is a very tangy rice dish due to the combination pineapple and fish sauce. The real appeal is in the presentation when one makes the little extra effort to scoop out the pineapple half to serve the rice in. For vegans, sustitute light soy sauce for the fish sauce and try a little pickled raddish and pressed tofu stir-fried instead of pork and prawns.
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp crushed garlic
1/2 lb pork, diced
1/2 lb fresh tiger prawns or cooked shrimp
4 Tbsp fish sauce
1 Tbsp sugar
1 fresh serrano chilli, seeded and cut into slivers
3 cups cooked rice, chilled
1 large pineapple, hollowed out and fruit cut in cubes
and put aside to add to this dish.
4 Tbsp chopped coriander leaves
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat oil in wok. Stir-fry garlic until slightly golden.
2. Add pork and stir fry until cooked.
3. Add prawns (or cooked shrimp) and stir fry until prawns are cooked.
4. Then add rice and mix thoroughly adding fish sauce, sugar and chilli.
5. Add pineapple cubes and stir fry for 2 more minutes.
6. Add coriander leaves, mix and then fill the hollow pineapple.