Spicy Steve's Thai Recipes
SALMON IN THAI RED CURRY AND COCONUT MILK
This is an absolutely delicious dish that is both delicate and robust at the sametime. Thesecret is making the red curry coconut sauce not too hot, accenting it with the kaffir lime leaves and lemongrass and cooking it long and slow.
1 ½ lbs salmon fillets cut into individual servings
1 Tbsp red curry paste
1 ½ cups coconut milk (Mae Ploy brand is best)
1 tsp fish sauce
1 tsp brown sugar (to taste)
2 tsp vegetable oil
4-6 kaffir lime leaves, chopped finely
1 stalk lemon grass, bruised (pounded) and sliced coarsely
Thai basil leaves or coriander leaves for garnish or extra finely julienned kaffir lime leaves.
1. Heat oil and fry lemon grass for less than a minute or until very fragrant.
2. Blend in red curry paste, stirring to break it up until it is fragrant. Do not let it burn.
3. Stir in coconut milk until well blended and lower heat to simmer.
4. Stir in brown sugar and fish sauce and add kaffir lime leaves. Allow to simmer at least 15 to 20 minutes or until oil begins to separate.
5. Add salmon fillets and poach in sauce on medium heat until cooked.
6. Serve immediately.