Spicy Steve's Thai Recipes
SPICY BASIL PORK
(Moo Pad Krapao)
This dish is a favourite with the Thais, although you will see it often made with chicken. The secret are the extra flavourful Thai Holy Basil Leaves (Krapao) which are unfortunately rather hard to find in North American Asian markets. If you can’t find Holy Basil then use common Thai Basil (Horapa) as a substitute.
1 lb pork fillet, thinly sliced into bite size pieces
1 cup fresh Thai Holy Basil or Thai Basil (whole leaves)
2 Tbsp fish sauce
2 tsp sugar
2 Tbsp Golden Mountain Sauce or oyster sauce
6 Thai red chillies, chopped and pounded into paste
2 kaffir lime leaves, finely diced
3 shallots, finely diced
6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 – 3 Tbsp peanut or vegetable oil
fresh ground white or black pepper
1. Heat wok, add half the oil, then add half the garlic, quickly stir, then add the pork and wok on high heat for 1 to 2 minutes until pork is cooked and browned. Remove from wok.
2. Heat remaining oil, add shallots, stir, and add remaining garlic, woking on a medium heat until shallots and garlic are golden.
3. Add back pork.
4. Add chilli paste, kaffir lime leaves, sugar, and Golden Mountain Sauce or oyster sauce. Stir quickly and then add fish sauce and fresh basil.
5. Mix well and cook until basil is wilted.
6. Grate fresh pepper over mixture and serve immediately.