Spicy Steve's Thai Recipes
STIR FRIED MUSSLES WITH CHILLI, GARLIC & BASIL
(Pad Hoi Mang Pu)
I absolutely love this dish. The garlic, the fresh basil, the chilli, oyster and fish sauces all combine to make a delicious broth to pour over rice once you have devoured the mussels.
3 fresh chillies, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 Tbsp chopped coriander root
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 Tbsp oyster sauce
1+1/2 Tbsp fish sauce
500 gm mussels, scrubbed, beards removed.
***Throw away any mussels which are open before cooking.
1/2 cup chicken thai chicken soup stock, regular stock or water
5 Tbsp coarsely chopped fresh thai basil leaves
1. Process chillies, garlic and coriander root in processor to create a rough paste.
2. Saute paste with oil in wok over medium heat for 2 minutes.
3. Add oyster and fish sauces and stir.
4. Add mussels and stock.
5. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes until mussels open and are cooked.
***Throw away any mussels which have not opened after cooking.
6. Stir in basil and remove from heat.
7. Serve with rice and enjoy.